Anti Social Behaviour

Anti-social behaviour is defined as:“Behaviour that causes or is likely to cause harassment alarm distress or annoyance to one or more persons not of the same household as yourself.”

“WATMOS, through the Tenant Management Organisations (TMOs), is committed to achieving an environment in which tenants feel safe and secure, and to ensuring tenants feel able to report cases of anti-social behaviour and harassment in the knowledge that their TMO, acting on behalf of their landlord, will take appropriate action.”

Frequently asked questions

I have made a complaint about anti social behavior, what help can you offer me? 

We offer confidential support to everyone affected by anti social behavior, as a victim or a witness. The support depends on what you and your family need, such as making your home more secure, or putting you in touch with specialist organisations.

What does the mediation service do?

The mediation service is for neighbours who have fallen out with each other.

How long does it take you to respond to my report of anti social behaviour? 

When you have made a report of anti social behavior, we will start an investigation. If there has been harassment or violence will interview you within one working day.

Examples of anti social behaviour

  • Harassment of any form.
  • Criminal activity including drug dealing.
  • Domestic violence and abuse.
  • Noise nuisance.
  • Untidy gardens.
  • Verbal abuse.
  • Damage to property.
  • Physical abuse or intimidation.
  • Nuisance associated with vehicles.
  • Nuisance associated with business use of premises.
  • Nuisance associated with drug, alcohol and solvent misuse.
  • Nuisance associated with pets.
  • Any other behaviour that may constitute an anti-social act.
  • Littering or dumping rubbish
  • Misuse of fireworks including using them late at night
  • Shouting or noisy behaviour in places where this might be annoying or upsetting (e.g. outside someone’s house)
  • Using rude, abusive or insulting language
  • Threatening behaviour or bullying - including on the internet, mobile phones or other electronic media
  • Offending someone by being racist or homophobic towards them
  • Uncontrolled or dangerous dog
  • Theft
  • Joyriding or using vehicles in an anti social manner (for example blocking access, noisy radios)
  • Excessively drinking alcohol in communal areas, alcohol related trouble or buying and selling drugs in the street

Asking for help because of anti social behaviour

You can write, e-mail, telephone or visit your TMO Office.

How your TMO will deal with your anti social behaviour problem

Your TMO will

  • Aim to see you, or arrange an appointment to discuss your problem within 1 working day.
  • Make a written record of any allegations you make.
  • Agree a plan with you to try to resolve the problem including suggesting mediation, if appropriate.
  • Offer you a copy of our policies and procedures.
  • Try to deal with your problem in confidence.

In return, we ask that you

  • Try to sort out minor disputes by talking to your neighbours.
  • Act in a considerate way towards others and make sure that members of your family do the same.
  • Keep a diary of incidents if we need you to collect evidence.
  • Report all serious incidents, including reporting all threats of violence to the police as well as your TMO.
  • Your TMO will contact you at least once every 2 weeks to discuss your problem until it is resolved.
  • Your TMO may involve other agencies to help resolve problems, for example the Environmental Health Department to deal with noise.

WATMOS’s approach to dealing with anti social behaviour

WATMOS and the TMOs will work with other organisations in Walsall to find the best ways to prevent and deal with anti social behaviour.

TMOs will always try to deal with anti social behaviour without having to use the law, for example by offering mediation or through Acceptable Behaviour Contracts.

TMOs will offer advice and support to complainants and witnesses alike.

WATMOS and the TMOs will always try to be fair to all parties when dealing with anti social behaviour.

Further action

For your TMO and WATMOS to be able to take legal action we will need evidence to be gathered and recorded by you and the TMO.

If we cannot get enough evidence, we may not be able to use the law to resolve a case of anti social behaviour.

If a case goes to court, you may be needed to give evidence.

Your TMO office will give you support if this happens.

Examples of legal action which may be considered

  • Application for an Anti Social Behaviour Order.
  • Injunctions with or without the power of arrest.
  • Possession (eviction) Proceedings.

Customer satisfaction

Your TMO will ask you how you felt your problem was dealt with.

We will welcome your views and use them to improve our service, during and after the process.

Complaints about the service

Your TMO has a complaints procedure for you to use if you are unhappy about the way they have dealt with your problem.

Leaflets on how to complain are available from your TMO office or speak to a member of staff.

Reporting to tenants

WATMOS will report to our tenants on how well we and the TMOs deal with reported cases of anti social behaviour and on successful court cases in our annual report.