Debt Advice

What to do if you fall into debt

It can be really easy to let debt spiral out of hand. Before you know it, you no longer have control of the money you owe and you could be at risk of losing your home if you fall behind on your rent payments.

A lot of people bury their head in the sand not knowing who to turn to if they feel they are drowning in debt. But  we understand the pressures our customers face, especially those who are struggling with redundancies, benefit cuts and rising costs of food and energy bills.

If you are starting to miss bill payments, don’t ignore the problem. You need to take action quickly to stop the situation getting any worse.

Get Free, Independent Advice

It’s important you are able to speak to an expert about your situation as they can give you the support you need (whatever that may be) to help get you out of debt.


The Walsall Money Advice Project operates a free advice and advocacy service for anyone living or working in the borough of Walsall.

  • Advice is offered on a wide range of matters including welfare benefits, debt counselling, energy advice etc.
  • The project also refers its clients to other agencies or organisations that can provide advice or services that will benefit the client.
  • The project receives its referrals from many other agencies in the Walsall borough and directly as a result of distributed publicity and word of mouth.

Walsall Council Welfare Rights Service is part of Money, Home, Job responsible for the delivery of its service to all residents of the borough and they offer a home visiting service.

The Welfare Rights Service in Walsall is unique in offering a whole range of services to residents and its partners, these include an intensive house to house survey that has been nationally recognised as best practice by the Audit Commission as well as Local Government Association and The Pension Service.

They also help residents to gain full entitlement to Welfare benefits but also concentrate on quality of life improvements.


The Money Advice Service helps people manage their money. They do this directly through their own free and impartial advice service. They work in partnership with other organisations to help people make the most of their money and are an independent service, set up by government.

Free and impartial money advice is available online , over the phone Tel. 0800 138 7777  

If you need further help, advice or guidance about claiming any benefits you may be entitled to, contact your local Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB),  find your local CAB branch online .

Can’t pay your rent?

If you are having trouble paying your rent, or you think in the near future paying your rent may become a problem it is important you contact us know straight away as we may be able to help you.

We can work together to make an agreement on how you can easily afford and manage to pay back the money you owe. If your rent continues to be in arrears and you don’t tell us about your situation, we might look into evicting you and your family from your home.