Our Service

Your questions answered

What repairs and maintenance do Watmos and the TMOs carry out?

We are responsible for the outside of the building, the main structure and any internal and external fittings, appliances we have provided. We carry out servicing once a year on all gas heating systems and appliances. We are also responsible for maintenance of communal areas and equipment we own. See Our responsibilities below.

What if I can’t carry out my responsibilities?

You are responsible for taking care of the inside of your home and for certain repairs. See Your Responsibilities. If you are elderly, infirm or disabled and have no able-bodied adult who can help you we may be able to put you in touch with organisations that can help.

Can I claim for damage to my property?

Only if damage was caused by the negligence of our operatives, or contractors working for us. If this is the case you need to write to us explaining the problem and what it has cost you. See Contact Us for the address.

You should take out home contents insurance to help you pay for any other damage, for example from accidents. See Home contents insurance.

Do I have to pay for any repairs?

If damage was caused by you, a member of your family or anyone else in your home, we expect you to get it repaired immediately. If you don’t, we may carry out the work and you will have to pay for the cost of the repair. We will quote you a fixed charge for standard work or give you an estimate for an unusual repair. Unless it is an emergency, you must pay the charge before we will order the work. You may decide to get someone else to do it.

If damage is the result of a break-in or vandalism, we will carry out work to make your home safe. We will do further work to complete the repair if you supply us with a Police Crime Reference Number. See Your Responsibilities.

Our responsibilities

We are responsible for repairing and maintaining the structure and outside parts of the building you live in, such as gutters and roof tiles, and any communal areas and facilities that we own.

Inside your home, we are responsible for all water and gas pipes, wiring, heating systems, drainage, power and light fittings.

In the private part of your garden we are responsible for privacy panels, walls and outbuildings and for main paths that lead to the front and back doors.

Home contents insurance

We strongly advise you to take out home contents insurance. This will cover you against damage to your personal belongings, carpets, furniture and other household contents and decorations including for fire or flood damage.

We have a recommended scheme which you can pay for when you pay your rent. We can send you an application form if you are interested or your can download   whg Home Contents Insurance 2021.pdf 326KB

Joint responsibility for gas safety

We are responsible for carrying out a gas safety check in every property with a gas supply once a year.

You must allow us into your home to carry out these checks. This is for the safety of you and also your neighbour’s’. If you do not allow us in, you are in breach of your Tenancy Agreement. If necessary, we will go to court to allow us to force entry. You could also risk losing your home.

You must make sure that air vents are not covered or become blocked.