Keeping a pet

WATMOS and the TMOs recognise the benefits that responsible pet ownership can bring but acknowledge that controls need to be in place to prevent irresponsible pet ownership which can cause suffering to animals and nuisance to neighbours.

This guidance offers advice if you are thinking about getting a pet, if you already have a pet and residents who may have concerns about or problems with a neighbour’s pet.

  • Residents must not keep a pet without prior consent from the TMO office.
  • Assistance dogs or animals are allowed in properties where evidence is provided;
  • The TMO’s acting on behalf of WATMOS Community Homes may withdraw consent if a nuisance is caused or if it is considered that the number of animals should be restricted;
  • Dogs should be exercised on a lead if in communal areas of the estate or scheme;
  • If an animal fouls any area it should be cleared up immediately by the owner;
  • Pets must not cause nuisance to neighbours, staff and visitors; this includes noise nuisance and animals which are allowed to stray;
  • Pets must not cause damage to the property, and residents may be charged for any damage caused to WATMOS Community Homes property;
  • Residents cannot run a business from their home; this includes breeding animals for sale or boarding kennels.

Residents should seek permission from the TMO office to keep pets in all circumstances as this allows the TMO and WATMOS Community Homes to record what animals are being kept.

Permission will normally be for small domestic animals and birds. Permission will not be granted for the following:-

  • Farm animals – for example, sheep, goats, pigs, cattle, horses, ducks.
  • Animals registered under the Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976 – examples of animals registered under the Act are certain types of venomous snake, certain types of spider and various breeds of monkey;
  • Dogs specified in the Dangerous Dogs Act 1991;
  • A dog or cat where the household already has two dogs or two cats or a dog or a cat.

Permission may not be granted where there is an ongoing problem with pet ownership in the household, or there has been a problem in the past.