What you must do
Your general responsibilities
You have certain general responsibilities:
- To let us know as soon as you notice a repair is needed and to take action to prevent it getting worse
- To allow us access to your property to carry out repairs, annual safety checks and any inspections that are necessary
- To keep the inside of your home in good repair and in a clean and safe condition
- To decorate the inside of your home to a reasonable standard, including filling minor cracks or holes in walls
- To repair and maintain any fixture, fitting or appliance you have put in
- To take action to prevent and control condensation. See Condensation
- To take action to prevent pipes from freezing or bursting.
- To arrange for the repair of any damage that has been caused by you or a member of your family or a visitor.
Damage and charging
If you, or anyone in your home, cause damage to your home, we expect you to arrange for it to be repaired immediately. If you are in danger, contact your local TMO and we will do the work. However, we will charge you for the cost of the repair.
If damage is caused by a break-in or vandalism, we will carry out work to make your home safe. We will only do further work if you supply us with a Crime Reference Number. You must get this from the Police
Alterations you have made
You can carry out alterations to the property provided you get our written permission before you start. This includes such additions as laminate flooring. You will be responsible for any repairs to the changes you have made and for reinstating them if we need to remove them in order to carry out repairs to other parts of the property.
You are responsible for certain tasks
You are expected to do these yourself, or arrange and pay to get them done:
- Replacing glass in windows or doors unless you can prove that the cause of the damage was outside your control
- Replacing keys or locks when keys are lost, or you get locked out
- Fitting additional locks or draught excluders to doors or windows
- Adjusting doors, particularly when you have new carpets fitted
- Fitting curtain rails, blinds or coat hooks
- Replacing clothes lines, posts and rotary driers, except in communal areas
- Replacing light bulbs
- Resetting trip switches
- Putting up TV aerials or satellite dishes except in communal areas
- Testing and cleaning smoke detectors. If yours is battery-operated (not mains-wired) you also need to replace the battery when it gets low
- Trying to clear blocked basins, sinks, baths or toilets (except in flats)
- Repairing or replacing toilet seats
- Replacing plugs and chains on baths, basins and sinks
- Descaling shower heads
- Fitting wastes and supply pipes for washing machines and dishwashers (if not already provided) and vents for tumble driers
- Installing or removing cookers or other gas or electrical appliances you own (All works must be carried out bay a gas safe or NICIEC qualified engineer. Copies of all certificates must be forwarded to the relevant TMO)
- Cleaning extractor fans
- Keeping gully grids clear of leaves etc.
- Maintaining general garden paths (not the main one leading to the front door)
- Repairing fencing, steps, patios, sheds, or garden features not originally provided by Watmos Community Homes or Walsall Metropolitan Borough Council.
- Adding additional draft proofing to windows and doors